I’ve never actually done one of these posts, not even when I started.
That’s because this was originally meant to be a diary, but then I got hooked and now I want people to read it. I’m sure someone would like to make a comment about the vanity of Millennials there, but what else have we got, if not pride in what we work hard for?
So, hi, my name is Laura. I started this blog as an outlet for a lot of things that I was feeling but was struggling to put into words. I was 26 at the time, had just moved back into my childhood bedroom after moving out of the apartment I loved but gave up because I’d already made the decision to move to London. I had recently been played by a boy I should have known was fucking with me and I was so very mad at myself. So I wrote a blog.
The rest as they say… is history.
Facts about me
- I work as a marketing executive with a small software company in London. I didn’t choose this career, it just found me by accident but it turns out I’m good at it.
- University is not the be all and end all – if I could do it over again, I never would have gone.
- My star sign is cancer. That’s meant to mean I’m a homebody with strong maternal instincts and powerful emotions which couldn’t be further from the truth. Apathy may well be my middle name; I’m not sure and I haven’t bothered to check.
- My middle name is actually Frances.
- My favourite colour is blue, but most of my clothes are black or white. I find it pleasing, comfortable and easy to look put together this way. Plus, I just like black and white.
- I really don’t like black and white photography. Don’t @ me.
- I haven’t been my natural hair colour since I was 14 years old. In the meantime I’ve been every hair colour under the sun, from platinum to bright red right through to black.
- My ex and I broke up 2 weeks before our 7 year anniversary. I think we both knew it was coming though because neither of us had bought a present or arranged any kind of celebration. Most of the last year of our relationship was spent avoiding each other anyway. Which is really impressive considering we lived alone together in a 2 bedroom apartment with only one bed.
- There was a time in my life where I thought I had a personality disorder because I couldn’t remember having strong emotions about anything. I didn’t feel overly attached to anyone (apart from a select few people I’d known since childhood) and I was never that upset when a relationship (romantic or otherwise) would end.
- I know this isn’t true now because I’m really vocal and passionate about a lot of things, I’m just really selective about what they are. (Hint: don’t ever victim blame someone, take advantage of someone I love, ask me to do my job for you for free, or “not all men” me.)
- I’ve always been into strong women. I hated the male characters on fighting games, as I always thought they were too slow and clunky.
- When playing the Sims, I’d make families of women and always kill the men after they made the babies.
- In high school, I wrote a literary essay about feminism in Dracula vs The Vampire Lestat. It got a B+.
- I’m kind of obsessed with salt. If my life were a sitcom, my catchphrase would be “needs more salt”
- I have eczema that presents around my eyes, on my hands and upper arms.
- To make that extra fun, I’m also allergic to a lot of active ingredients found in common cosmetics. In 15 or so years of wearing makeup, I am yet to find an eyeshadow I can wear without a reaction.
- I react to about half of all eyeliners and mascaras I try, as well as primers and setting sprays. I’d say about a quarter of all lipsticks are a major risk factor for me – if you’ve ever had an oral reaction to something you’ll understand why.
- I am slowly making the transition to all natural, cruelty free and vegan products. I have to do this slowly as I have no way of predicting what I’ll react to, and can’t afford to waste money on stuff I can’t use.
- I should blog about that, but I’m scared of making shitty flatlays and becoming a laughing stock of the blogging community.
- I’m also allergic to Penicillin and grapefruit. Now you have all the tips for how to kill me slowly and make it look like an accident.